I woke up this morning, actually went to bed last night, thinking about those things that I am thankful for.
In the midst of wiggly kids during a praise service, a messy kitchen left over from the husband and said kids, and never-ending laundry, I decided to make a list:
1. God. Jesus. His unconditional love, His eternal forgiveness, His unending grace, His full acceptance.
2. My husband. He loves me and the kids. He works tirelessly so we are never without home, food, clothing, and our hobbies. He gives me room to grow and explore. He supports my writing and community efforts. He is growing and that gives me room to become myself.
3. My children. They are the air I breathe and my life is so much richer being their mother.
4. My friends. Some are lifelong, some are new, all give life to my life, they make me know the depth of my potential and relish in the width of my warmth. I adore them all.
5. My family. Some are gone, some are young, some are old, all share an ancestry that makes me thankful for being born. Each one is unique and brings me a complete picture of myself.
6. My girls. I am so honored and blessed that God put me in place to pour into the lives of these teenage girls, they are promise and hope.
7. My fellas. They make me smile every time I see one of them pulling their pants up when I walk into the room or drive up to the high school, they see and are listening. I see them and I see their drive, their hunger, and their hope. Tomorrow will be better because they are trying today.
8. My writing. Pen to paper is like water to ocean to me, unseparated, necessary, united, joined, forever. It is what gives me purpose and allows me to express the gifts of God in me.
9. History. I was alive during a pivotal moment in American history that I am still grasping. I will never forget where I was on Tuesday, November 4, 2008, 10:00pm, never, ever. At 44, I was alive and with a huge crowd to see something I never thought I would see in my lifetime. Yes, dreams do come true.
10. Life. Simply everything.