My girlfriend sent this out this morning and I thought it was excellent. I've been musing about life like a lot of us have as we seek to redefine who we are in the midst of this economic depression. Someone told me the other day that part of the national problem is that we have defined ourselves by what we do, how we do it, where we live, or what people think/say about us. I thought about this some more and realized how exhausting it is to live up to other people's expectations and forget about living! So, in honor of my girlfriend and in honor of living, I say, just quit!
Here is her list of things to quit, I am taking notes, what about you?
1) Quit arguing with people about the same old foolishness!
-Respect their position and keep it moving!
2) Quit telling people your secrets when you know they are not going to keep them!
-And if you keep telling them, then quit getting mad when they tell your secrets!
3) Quit trying to pull people on your journey who don't want to travel with you!
-Either they believe in you and value you ...or they don't!
4) Quit complaining about things you can't and won't change!
-I am not working on being a size 6 or a model...so instead of complaining about the weight charts, I negotiated with my doctor for a "comfortable weight for me." Forget the charts! I created my own "healthy weight!"
5) Quit gossiping about other people!
-Minding our own business should be a full time job!
6) Quit blaming each other for things that in the big picture aren't going to matter 3 weeks from now!
-Talk solutions...and then implement them!
7) Quit eating things you know are not good for you!
-If you can't quit...eat smaller portions! (I know...this is hard for me too!)
8) Quit buying things when we know we can't afford them!
-If you don't have self control, then quit going to the stores!
-Quit charging things, especially when you don't NEED them!
9) Quit staying in unhealthy relationships!
-Some friendships are unhealthy, quit making excuses, walk away.
It is not okay for people to verbally or physically abuse you! So quit lying to yourself!
-It is not okay to stay in the marriage for the children! Ask them and they will tell you that they really would prefer to see you happy and that the misery you and your spouse/partner are living with is affecting them!
10) Quit letting family members rope you into the drama!
-Start telling them you don't want to hear it!
-Quit spreading the drama!
-Quit calling other relatives and telling them about your cousin or aunt! Go back to #5 - minding your own business should be enough to keep you busy!
11) Quit trying to change people! IT DOESN'T WORK!
-I am still working on this because I really see a world of possibilities for others and try to convince them to see and want differently for themselves!
-Quit cussing people out when you know that they are just being the miserable and jealous people that they are!
12) Quit the job you hate!
-Start pursuing your passion
-HINT: find the job that fuels your passion before you quit!
13) Quit volunteering for things that you aren't getting any personal fulfillment from anymore!
-Quit volunteering for things and then failing to follow through with your commitment!
14) Quit listening to the naysayers!
-Quit watching the depressing news if you are going to live in the doom and gloom of it all!
15) Quit making excuses about why you are where you are or why you can't do what you want to do!
16) Quit waiting on others to give you the answers...and start finding the answers for yourself!
-If what you are doing isn't working for you...then quit it!
-Quit settling and start making your dreams a reality!
-Quit being afraid and START LIVING YOUR LIFE!